November 11, 2018
Noon Position: 34 55S 122 07W
Course(t)/Speed(kts): SExE 8
Wind(t/tws): SW 25 – 28
Sea(t/ft): SW 12
Sky: Rain. Low and gray
10ths Cloud Cover: 10
Bar(mb): 1004, rising
Cabin Temp(f): 66
Water Temp(f): 60
Relative Humidity(%): 75
Sail: Triple reef in main and #2 genoa, hard reaching
Noon-to-Noon Miles Made Good (nm): 142
Miles since departure: 4900
Avg. Miles/Day: 129
Ran all night on main and #2, both triple reefed, taking wind on starboard quarter as the low came on slowly and steadily. By first light, it was blowing a resolute 33 knots, and Mo was hard pressed with so much sail aft. I dressed and dropped the main. This eased Mo’s complaint, but without the pressure on the main holding us down, we rolled terribly.
The bar had been falling all night and now stood at 1001, its lowest this trip.
At 8am, wind suddenly eased into the teens and went south. The sky cleared. But all around remained a wall of dark cloud. The bar, 999. For an hour we sailed through the center of the low as if in a haunted place.
Then wind went strongly southwest, cycling between 26 and 29 knots, and has stayed there all day. We are traveling in the direction of the low. We may hold this wind for a while.
Am back to two sails, both as reefed as they go. We fight to keep our course southeast. A wet, rough ride as the sea is now a mature 12 feet and breaking on our beam. I should ease into the east and give Mo a break. But we don’t need more easting at this latitude. So, I’m pushing for some southing.
Since last sail change, this was before noon, I haven’t done much but pull Monte’s strings occasionally and watch, but it’s a tiring watch. Am dressed in foulies, ready to go. Just in case.